Slow Cooked Spiced Brisket
- Serves: 4
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 8 hrs
- Method: Slow-cook
- 2kg brisket, trimmed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp each cumin and coriander powder
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp each mustard powder and onion powder
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the rub ingredients. Rub the mix all over the brisket.
- In a slow cooker, place all of the sauce ingredients and gently stir to combine. Then add the brisket close the lid and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove brisket onto an oven tray and place into an oven heated to 180° Celsius, loosely covered with foil. Transfer the liquid from slow cooker into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer over a medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Remove brisket from the oven and brush with the sauce. (you can put back into the oven for 5-10 minutes more at this point if you would like some caramelization, or serve as is).
- Skirt steak or chuck steak can be used as an alternative to brisket.
- To serve, thinly slice brisket across the grain and serve with remaining sauce and your favourite salad or on sliders.